Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mo-hawks

Today's observation while walking around campus: The Mohawk.

Wikipedia says

The Mohawk or Mohican is a hairstyle. In the most common variety, both sides of the head are shaved leaving a strip of noticeably longer hair in the centre. Mohawks became common in punk subculture and Rivethead subculture in the early 1980s and were then adopted by various other groups, becoming more diverse in style. Today, Mohawks are still associated with the punk subculture, but have also become part of mainstream fashion.

The Mohawk hairstyle is named for, and often associated with, the people of the Mohawk nation, an indigenous people of North America who originally inhabited the Mohawk Valley in upstate New York to southern Quebec and eastern Ontario.

In modern punk fashion, the Mohawk is often dyed brilliant colors and worn so that it points straight up, often to impressive height. The Mohawk is also a feature of goth fashion. The Mohawk is also known as the signature hairstyle of Mr. T, the actor who first became famous playing the boxer Clubber Lang in the movie Rocky III and later as Sgt. B.A. Baracus in the television series The A-Team.


I saw a few kids with mohawks today and I thought to myself: What do people who sport mohawks think when they're getting ready in the morning? Maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to have to do my hair in the morning, since i'm blessed to not have to do that anymore. But I saw a guy with a full on, stiff, spiky, mohawk and I imagined him doing his hair this morning and thinking to himself "dang my hair looks good." I laughed to myself. in my head.


That's all.

2 comments:

Fiery Jack said...

Someone told me tonight that I had a reverse mohawk.

shirley elizabeth said...

People that don't comment on your blog are losers.