Monday, January 18, 2010

Fall 2009 update...

Dear Blog,

It's been how long since I last posted (not including Saturday's announcement)??? 118 days actually (that's 3 months and 27 days, or 2,832 hours). Oh really? Goodness I'm sorry. How come I haven't posted? What have I been up to? Well, let me tell you...

College football started at the beginning of September. More than past years, and much to Shirley's dismay, I was very into it this season. I even started a sports blog, where I enjoyed writing about college football. Seriously though... I'm a huge fan of college football. Actually I like pretty much all football, I just don't watch a whole lot of the NFL games simply because they're on Sunday and I don't really watch tv on Sundays. But I could talk college football all day long.

Apart from writing about sports, I've also been playing a lot of sports lately. About the time college football season started, me and a bunch of guys started playing football on Saturday mornings. I even went and bought some flags, my own football, and even some gloves to up the competitiveness a little.


I think it was September when I got called to be the Elders' Quorum Secretary at church. I like the guys in the presidency. They're fun to work with. But every Thursday night we go out and make visits to people... and then we have a meeting every Sunday either before or after church, so that's been keeping me busy.

Halloween was good fun. Have I mentioned before that I'm a lousy picture taker? So yeah... there're no pictures of us in our Halloween costumes. But we did get pictures of our pumpkin carving!


For Thanksgiving Shirley and I decided to take the long trip to Idaho to spend the holiday with Shirley's Aunt Debbie and her family. They live in the small town of Jerome Idaho, and I loved visiting there! The scenery and landscapes reminded me so much of Montana, where I served as a missionary. We were less than 2 hours away from Boise, and the Broncos (Boise State University) were playing a big conference game at home that weekend. I wanted to go so bad, but it didn't work out.

The week after Thanksgiving, we got our first Christmas tree! We think we got the perfect sized tree for our little apartment. It was great. On a side note, I love basketball and like to watch as many NBA games as possible. So here's a shot of our sweet tree, and me eating a chili dog while watching a Suns game on tv and watching another game on my computer. I was a happy camper that night.


Funnily enough, about the time the college football season started winding down, so did our enthusiasm for playing football, and the focus kinda turned more towards basketball. Shirley's brothers were all in town for the holidays, and I got to play a lot of ball with them. And since then, I've been playing once or twice a week with friends. Shirley even got me some new basketball shoes (my previous ones were 5 years old!) and a new basketball for Christmas! I'm pretty much a baller.


There was of course school, which is always hanging over my shoulder and sometimes taking over completely, but everything turned out alright there. And besides that, it was just a lot of having fun being married and loving my beautiful wife. Dec. 30th was our 1 year anniversary! I hear stuff like "the first year was tough" and such, but for us... it was great! And we're very happy.


Anyways, that ought to be good enough for now. I'll try to keep 'em comin more often, and probably shorter, though I'm gonna be taking 19 credits this semester, so we'll see if I actually have any free time. Enjoy.

3 comments:

shirley elizabeth said...

Nope it's a chili potato. Not dog.

Love you.

Rachael and Jeff Downs said...

Congrats on making it through your first year! It sounds similiar to ours, with Jeff uber wrapped up in sports, haha

I hope you'll find time to update this occasionally :)

ConnieB said...

you need to post more.. that goes for Shirley too :p

Anyway just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for the happy birthday I got from you guys. Maybe it was a small guesture to you but to me it was huge. You are the only people who remembered out of all my friends. So thanks(:

Tony and I want to have you guys over.. we should plan something soon!